I am thankful for:
1. Herbal remedies and nourishing food that strengthen and heal us. Everyone in my family, aside from me and Faith, has been sick in the past two weeks, and we're slowly recovering with the help of elderberry syrup (the last of last-year's elderberry foraging--yay for my horticulturist husband!), astragalus, orange juice, tangerines, leafy green vegetables (salad), and chicken soup. I love that we don't have to be dependent on doctors for stuff like this (though they certainly have their place and I'm grateful for them too). And I'm very grateful that Faith and I haven't gotten sick, that is a huge blessing.
2. A working dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer. I've done without all of those, and it is certainly doable, but I am so grateful I don't have to haul our little kids, clothes, and cloth diapers to the laundromat every week (been there, done that, not my favorite!), but can do my laundry a little at a time in the comfort of my own home! It's currently sitting in baskets patiently waiting to be folded, but it is clean. Except the (large) part that's not. But I'll get to that. :)
3. Windows that let in heat in the winter to warm my home, and let in sunshine year-round to brighten my spirits. (We lived in a windowless basement for a year and a half, I do NOT take windows for granted!) Note: these big windows shown above are the ones I'm talking about. And our family room is even this clean once in a while, for a few minutes at least!
4. Animals/nature. I love that lots of animals live on our lot along with us. Some we brought (chickens), some that come to visit and don't stay, thank goodness (coyotes and skunks), and some that just live here (squirrels and rabbits and birds). This week I went to the sink to wash out my dish and there was a squirrel on my windowsill above the sink, looking in! I think I scared it as much as it startled me!
5. True friends: great people I've gotten to know here and others I knew before. I'm very much a homebody, but I am so grateful to have friends who encourage me to get out of my house and into the sunshine, and others who live too far away for that but who encourage me daily with their love, support and great examples.
6. A baby who (mostly) sleeps at night. Apparently God knows I'm getting older and can't function on no sleep like I used to. She still has her nights, and sometimes weeks, when she'll be up to nurse at three, but that is the exception, not the rule. She does want to nurse all evening...but if it means I get to sleep at night, it is WORTH IT to me.
7. My Savior, who makes it possible for me to repent and try again, over and over, until I finally get it right. I love this quote from Jeffrey R. Holland: "however late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don’t have, or however far from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines."
Love you all! Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment