Janetta Ann McBride Ferrin, my third great-grandmother
Here are some miracles we have experienced as we have progressed through this experience:
- I am pregnant, and my baby and I have continued to grow exactly as we should, though I have been living on my food storage, supplemented by the generosity of family members and less-than-regular trips to the grocery store.
- We didn't have health insurance for five months, and my family was healthy and mostly without need of health care for that whole time. My daughter did perforate her eardrum back in July, but it did not get infected, and when I took her to the doctor yesterday (for an infection in the other ear) he told me her eardr
um that had been perforated was now healed and whole and would not need surgery.
- I have been able to come up with meals, day after day, when the day before I would have no idea what I would fix the next night. I would get on my knees and pray, and an answer would come, and I would know what to fix. This has happened over and over.
- Our air conditioner, which in past summers has needed lots of coaxing to keep running, made it through this whole summer without breaking down once.
- Every appliance or vehicle issue we have had, John has been able to fix. We haven't had anything we needed to replace or take in to get repaired. Our 12-year-old van has been so reliable. It has little issues, but it starts and runs whenever we need it to, and that has been such a blessing.
- People have been so generous to us, especially people in our extended family. I am a very independent person, and consider it our responsibility to provide for ourselves, but as we have been trying to do that and have not been able to, we have learned how to receive help from others, and let them serve us, and that was something I needed to learn. We are so grateful for their kindness.
- The Lord has provided for our family's needs. We have always had food to eat, and clothes to wear, and transportation, and a roof over our heads. He has taken care of us, maybe not always as I would have hoped, but in the ways we needed.
I don't know if I have learned, yet, all the things I need to learn from this experience, and I don't know how much longer it will last, but I know that somehow these experiences will be for our good, and will help our family to be stronger. I hope I will have the faith to press forward even when things are hard and I can't see how they will possibly get better. I hope I will have some small portion of the faith my pioneer ancestors had. I am grateful for their examples and the sacrifices they made for me.

3 comments:
I love your posts of testimony and faith. I just wanted you to know that when I was growing up, our family struggled financially for most of that time. Some of the most valuable lessons that I learned came from watching my mom, as she learned how to be very frugal and resourceful. I often saw her on her knees praying for help. Multiple times I remember her opening an envelope that she'd gotten in the mail, with no return address and money inside. She always told me that it was Heavenly Father's way of blessing us because we paid our tithing. My dad always worked hard to provide for us, and I knew that. Your children are learning valuable things from this! I remember having one coat that I wore to school every day that I absolutely hated. In fact, I would take it off when I got to school and hide it in my backpack and suffer being cold. Ha ha, prideful...I know. But even that was a lesson for me...that I couldn't always get what I want right when I wanted it. Your post reminded me of those lessons. Thank you!
This made me cry! We just hit out 2.5 year mark of quitting the full time fancy stable job we spent years going to school for to start our own business and it's still hard. I know that one day it will get better, but just know you aren't alone in your struggles! It'll all pay off in the end right?! I sure hope so for the both of us.
Thank you for your comments! I know there are so many good things coming out of this hard time, and it is, and will be, worth it. Sometimes life is so intense...I feel like the Lord condenses a lot of learning, and blessings, into a short period of time sometimes. That's where we are. But I know we'll get through it, and be better for it.
Post a Comment